Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Do you want a WIKI for Popcorn Hour?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I'm tired of spending hours to find answers. 93.26% 83 93.26%
Well, maybe but it seems to be more work than it's worth. 4.49% 4 4.49%
No, I have too much sparetime that I need to waste anyway. 2.25% 2 2.25%
Total 89 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
WIKI-page requested to gather all the info.
10-09-2008, 12:32 AM
WIKI-page requested to gather all the info.
I want a WIKI-page for all the solutions, programs, setups, FAQ's & tutorials and so on. Easy to find and only with the answers.

A forum is great to solve problems, but when problems are solved then one or two pages with the results of 200 pages about one thread (where some solutions dont work because they are fixed later on in the thread and so on).

Please, a WIKI would make both the n00b's and the advanced users that dont have 5 extra hours (finding out that something is possible, reading up on how to do it, do it, re-do it a couple of times and then hopefully get it right) to spare for every little thing that is possible to do with the PCH.

---- HDMI 1.3, PRV, SATA => buying one ---
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2008, 12:41 AM
RE: WIKI-page requested to gather all the info.
Hmmm......
http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Top Of Every Page In This Forum.

ND
10-09-2008, 01:04 AM
(10-09-2008 12:41 AM)notdavid Wrote:  Hmmm......
http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Top Of Every Page In This Forum.

ND

he said everything, setup, jukeboxes,

the wiki on top of this page is basic. and it needs updates for A110
10-09-2008, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2008 05:10 AM by chris57.)
Then please update it.

WIKI is a community document for users to update. Register on the WIKI and add what you think is missing.

A manual is being worked on by Syabas but wont be available for some time.

The Poll options are not going to get any meaningful results as its basically an agree with me or you are an idiot type of options.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
10-09-2008, 05:39 AM
(10-09-2008 05:05 AM)chris57 Wrote:  WIKI is a community document for users to update. Register on the WIKI and add what you think is missing.

How true, the problem is that alot of people (perhaps even the ones who create polls with biased choices) want everything their way and the easy way. Ironically they are usually the same. Whatever happened to reading and learning? How many posts have we seen on here that are basically different version of the same old request? "Somebody tell me verbatim step by step how to do what I want"

...teach a man to fish......Cool
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
(10-09-2008 05:39 AM)ytodd Wrote:  
(10-09-2008 05:05 AM)chris57 Wrote:  WIKI is a community document for users to update. Register on the WIKI and add what you think is missing.

How true, the problem is that alot of people (perhaps even the ones who create polls with biased choices) want everything their way and the easy way. Ironically they are usually the same. Whatever happened to reading and learning? How many posts have we seen on here that are basically different version of the same old request? "Somebody tell me verbatim step by step how to do what I want"

...teach a man to fish......Cool

of course we want it the easy way, we don't have hundreds of hours to spend on stuff that people already have figured out. You say teach a man to fish... I say why invent the wheel more than once?
And when you have invented it why hide it in the bushes instead of demonstrating it on the town center?
Obviously the WIKI at the moment is shity and not obvious enough as people still misses it and don't use it when they have figured something out. I knew that it would take some work and that it's more a nerds-in-their-parents-basement-selling-a-cool-thing kind of machine than a finished product by any respected comercial company but come on, it has to be better than this...

10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Ytodd, thank you for some very true words!
It is truly amazing how lazy some folks are!
What is more amazing is the incredible lengths, and excuses these folks will go to, and come up with.
Having taught technical classes for over twenty years I could tell within a day whether or not a student would make it my class.
It was sad, hearing the same excuses all the time.

ND
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
(10-09-2008 08:23 PM)notdavid Wrote:  Ytodd, thank you for some very true words!
What is more amazing is the incredible lengths, and excuses these folks will go to, and come up with.
Having taught technical classes for over twenty years I could tell within a day whether or not a student would make it my class.

ND

It's reasoning like yours that stop potentially superior but not well-adopted solutions from being number one, like Linux compared to Windows where Windows is way ahead of Linux even though Linux could be much more efficient with the right knowledge. Maybe it's time for you to get out ot the 20th century and in to the 21th. I hope your students don't have to put up with your old fashion mentality.
I guarantee you that my way of studying (gathering a few other students, summurize different parts of the class sharing the interesting stuff with the others saving a lot of time that is later on used while applying the knowledge gathered on problems given in the course, this also in a group so that you can continue to share thoughts that just bring the work forward) would get me through your class just like it have taken me through my engineering master. Right now most people are waisting to much UNNECESSARY time.

10-09-2008, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2008 09:15 PM by ranm.)
I think that people with knowledge should share it. I did already, updating the wiki about bittorrent.

Stop being egoistic and arrogant everybody!

Sharing is caring! We need more contributors to the wiki!

Although I think that Syabas should write some (ALOT) information about their middleware. That should be their job, but hey, we get what we pay for right?

And a suggestion to all software developers! Add your plug-in to the WIKI. Then create a forum post about it. Link to that post from the wiki, and then if very basic or advanced questions about the software (that are not already in the manual) are asked, add the question and solution to the wiki. Everyone should do it! If you have a question, and it gets answered, and you think the solution would benefit other people, add it to the WIKI.
10-10-2008, 01:21 AM
(10-09-2008 09:01 PM)duckland Wrote:  
(10-09-2008 08:23 PM)notdavid Wrote:  Ytodd, thank you for some very true words!

ND

It's reasoning like yours that stop potentially superior but not well-adopted solutions from being number one, like Linux compared to Windows where Windows is way ahead of Linux even though Linux could be much more efficient with the right knowledge. Maybe it's time for you to get out ot the 20th century and in to the 21th. I hope your students don't have to put up with your old fashion mentality.
I guarantee you that my way of studying (gathering a few other students, summurize different parts of the class sharing the interesting stuff with the others saving a lot of time that is later on used while applying the knowledge gathered on problems given in the course, this also in a group so that you can continue to share thoughts that just bring the work forward) would get me through your class just like it have taken me through my engineering master. Right now most people are waisting to much UNNECESSARY time.
LOL!!
More excuses.
It is the 21st Century, not the 21th.
Also, the word is wasting, not waisting.
Wow, when I got my BEE, we had to know basic spelling!
So reading your newest list of excuses, I have gathered that you use your fellow students to do your work for you.
You may someday get an engineering degree, but you'll never be an Engineer.
I have already contributed several items to the Wiki, what have you done?

ND
10-10-2008, 05:15 AM
(10-10-2008 01:21 AM)notdavid Wrote:  
(10-09-2008 09:01 PM)duckland Wrote:  

ND

LOL!!
More excuses.
It is the 21st Century, not the 21th.
Also, the word is wasting, not waisting.
Wow, when I got my BEE, we had to know basic spelling!
So reading your newest list of excuses, I have gathered that you use your fellow students to do your work for you.
You may someday get an engineering degree, but you'll never be an Engineer.
I have already contributed several items to the Wiki, what have you done?

ND
Obviously one of what we refer to as the "entitled generation". We all "owe" them something just because. Ironically it is synonymous (imo)with lazy.

You also forgot that he can't spell summarize too.
10-10-2008, 06:17 AM
(10-10-2008 05:15 AM)ytodd Wrote:  Obviously one of what we refer to as the "entitled generation". We all "owe" them something just because. Ironically it is synonymous (imo)with lazy.

You also forgot that he can't spell summarize too.

So true ytodd, so true.
Thanks for catching my oversight!
So many kids want everything NOW!!

ND
10-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Not trying to get in the middle of a pissing contest, but I do want to point out that folks who are happy (like me) with their PCH and 3rd party softwares (such as Movie Jukeboxes, etc ...) have spent the time to research, read, learn, test, try, fail, try again, etc ...

I know I have spent a fair amount of time trying to answer questions, but to repeat answers on a daily basis is ridiculous. And when I first got involved, there were no answers ... I remember the Wiki being updated every 5 minutes ...

PCH A-100 || PCH C-200 || Panasonic TH-58PZ800U || Denon AVR-1912 || Cerwin-Vega CVHD 5.1 || Dish Network ViP 722 DVR
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
@chris or werner.

Is jukebox and other user created stuff even supposed to be in the wiki? I didn't think syabas would want that in the wiki due to the fact that it wasn't created by them and thus don't really wanna get into technical support for it.
10-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm a bit confused by the wiki everything appears to be on the one page. I guess it's part of the problem with the PCH, that it is so versatile two individuals can have completely different needs and therefore expect to find completely different info from it.

I, for instance, have pretty basic requirements. To take delivery of the PCH, install it with a HDTV and amplifier, rip my current DVD collection and present it via a movie jukebox. I have no interest in streaming, high definition, mkv's, bit-torrent, smb, NAS, H264, Photos etc. But, i find that if i have a question to answer i need to skim through all the irrelevant stuff just to find maybe 4 or 5 lines of text that hint at what I need.

In another thread, i suggested that i'd put together a step-by-step guide to set up the PCH in the way i'm using it. A wiki would be just the place to put that. But, I can see that, if I did, it would just be lost in the middle of the rest of the stuff.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WD red drives info needed pace508 4 1,138 04-30-2013 01:39 AM
Last Post: chris57
  NMT File info/scrapes . . AND ISO file questions styopa 1 956 03-17-2013 08:51 PM
  Edit Wiki - How ? WhiteVanMan 2 946 06-20-2012 10:36 PM
Last Post: WhiteVanMan
  WIKI!! WIKI!!! WIKI!!!! - Join In! chris57 79 52,619 02-19-2012 04:30 AM
  WIKI - login details chris57 0 1,098 05-31-2011 03:20 PM
  Info on PCH-C200 mv2002uk 2 1,596 05-04-2011 03:26 AM
Last Post: popcornhoursales
  Ces 2011 info hairball 4 2,133 01-09-2011 05:12 PM
Last Post: VanHalen
  i've looked through the wiki over and over again but i cant find an answer Daminite 3 1,883 11-13-2010 09:19 AM
  next to get my C200...info needed masterzone 0 1,131 08-08-2010 06:07 PM
Last Post: masterzone
  the wiki is a little too spread out. accident 3 1,820 06-25-2010 01:19 AM
Last Post: accident