Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
The Nightmare of DTS
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
The Nightmare of DTS
Hi again, further to my agony with AVI. Today I focus more on the DTS (which is my preferred audio mode) and ripped SD DVD. Generally, I have no problem with my digitised library - Nat Geo and History and Band of Brothers - the video 'performed' better than my expectation ;D But yet to continue on the AVI nightmare .....

BUT-BUT the DTS audio is confusing me. Foremost, using HDMI from PCH to AVR, by selecting DTS, I get only video, but NO audio. If I choose Dobly Digital 5.1, no problem and AVR will display Dobly Digital. Stereo audio also OK. Then an idea hits me to try Coaxial Digital, and so I dig out a Coaxial Digital cable and connect PCH S/PIF to AVR Coax. The DTS works o But if I choose Dobly Digital 5.1, there is NO Audio ??? )

What the heck is happening here ( >( ???

The PCH Audio Setup is to Digital (RAW). Is it the HDMI connector or S/PIF ??????????

Firmware is 01-15-071218-14-POP-402-00

Please help -\
Find all posts by this user
01-23-2008, 04:19 PM

What receiver?
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM

he is using onkyo 875...

anyway, i dont think its gotta do with a-100... there must be some setting that is missing? probably fellow HDMI avr reciever can chip in?

i am using plain old coaxial.. :$

Join our facebook page today!
http://www.facebook.com/networkedmediajukebox
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Onkyo 875.

The ripped DVD has no audio issue playing on PC, which Cyberlink PowerDVD can decode it. Also have used Nero to make a DTS only DVD, and it is played DTS-correctly on DVD player and Onkyo 875 AVR picks up DTS (DVD Player - Onkyo 875 using HDMI).

I am inclined to think it is the PCH. The PCH audio settings are all set to Digital(RAW).

daniel_owen_uk Wrote:What receiver?
01-23-2008, 08:27 PM

I beleive theres a bug with DTS audio using HDMI

But using Coaxial and both DD/DTS set to Digital RAW under audio settings should work fine - works perfect with my AVR.
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM

spawn Wrote:I beleive theres a bug with DTS audio using HDMI

But using Coaxial and both DD/DTS set to Digital RAW under audio settings should work fine - works perfect with my AVR.

+1

Except DTS-MA doesn't work right now.

8)

Sharp Aquos (46D64U)
PCH A-100
Buffalo Link Theater
Sony STR-DG720
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM

This is most likely an amp setting issue. Be sure to set your amp to "auto" detect for audio. You probably have it hard set to PCM, DTS, etc. Also, be sure to use the coaxial SPDIF output connection.

Post subject: dts or ac3 DOES NOT work via HDMI
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=608
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Huh? According to the thread you link to, dts and ac3/dolby digtal does work via hdmi.

But you are spot on regarding the amp settings to auto.

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
01-24-2008, 12:20 AM

dc11ab Wrote:Huh? According to the thread you link to, dts and ac3/dolby digtal does work via hdmi.

The reason why I said to use the coaxial is because he might be running the HDMI thru his HDTV. And from that thread not all HDTVs do a passthru of the audio on the way out of the HDTV using HDMI (to your amp/rec) - strange but it seems to be the case on some sets. So why not avoid all that hassle and just use the coaxial output.

Btw, the heading I used above the link is the message title of that link - not my statement that digital passthru doesn't work via HDMI.
01-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Thank you guys. But let me clarify on my setup. Frankly this is a VERY straight forward setup that SHOULD work and it is the prime reason I decide on PCH - simply 1 x HDMI for audio video, 1 x power cord.

Setup
PCH -> HDMI -> AVR
DVD Player > HDMI > AVR

Then just a single HDMI AVR -> HDMI Monitor Out -> TV
(AVR is set to send only video to TV)

By the spec and posts I have read, though PCH doesnt have onboard DTS decorder I can send DD & DTS via digital, eg. Coax or HDMI, to a DTS-capable AVR. And so I have all audio settings as Digital(RAW).

But STRANGELY, only Dobly Digital is sent over the HDMI, but not DTS. More STRANGE, when I connect an additional Coax Digital cable to PCH S/PIF, the AVR receives DTS, but no Dobly Digital. What on earth is happening shock roll

Can the PCH Master also pls shed some ideas. I need PCH help oops
01-24-2008, 04:43 AM

cn9601 Wrote:But STRANGELY, only Dobly Digital is sent over the HDMI, but not DTS. More STRANGE, when I connect an additional Coax Digital cable to PCH S/PIF, the AVR receives DTS, but no Dobly Digital. What on earth is happening

Coaxial & HDMI should support the audio output. I would look into your rec. manual. Perhaps you have different settings set for coaxial vs HDMI on your rec. (not the popcorn hour)? That would seem to make the most sense. Sounds like your rec. treats the two connections as a separate input on your rec. which means you have to tell the rec. how to detect/decode each input. Otherwise, you might have to cycle thru the audio types on your rec. to "find" the correct one to be decoded, since your rec. might not be able to detect the signal correctly. Sometimes when things really go bad on my system (not the popcorn hour) I have to change channels, etc. for it to "find" the correct decoder to use.
01-24-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm having the same problems with DTS over HDMI to my receiver. No audio gets picked up by the receiver. Its like the PCH isn't sending the proper DTS flag to the receiver to tell it to start decoding DTS.
01-24-2008, 06:24 AM

slick5150 Wrote:I'm having the same problems with DTS over HDMI to my receiver. No audio gets picked up by the receiver. Its like the PCH isn't sending the proper DTS flag to the receiver to tell it to start decoding DTS.
Have you tried "manually" selecting the correct decoder on your rec. to see if it works?
01-24-2008, 07:10 AM

Tks LucidDreams.

Yes, my AVR (Onkyo 875) is versatile to receive audio from several digital sources HDMI, Coax and Opt. And I am quite sure I have set the PCH Input Source for HDMI. In fact, my DVD player is a lot more complicated, I have HDMI, Composite and 5.1ch Analog. And it is playing perfectly and seamlessly since day 1.

So for PCH, I just dun believe that it can be so difficult with JUST 1 x HDMI roll evil Basically, DD & DTS could be piped thru the HDMI. It is STRANGE that if DD is piped thru successfully on HDMI, why NOT DTS? I mean, if DTS doesnt work, then DD should also not right idea ?

EDIT I am getting another HDMI cable from a friend. Though unlikely, it may just be the cable. Anything is possible now, to me roll
01-24-2008, 07:20 AM

cn9601 Wrote:So for PCH, I just dun believe that it can be so difficult with JUST 1 x HDMI :roll: :evil: Basically, DD & DTS could be piped thru the HDMI. It is STRANGE that if DD is piped thru successfully on HDMI, why NOT DTS? I mean, if DTS doesnt work, then DD should also not right :idea: :?
Well, other people that have HDMI are not having this issue. The Popcorn Hour is passing this audio thru to HDMI...it's your rec. that's having the problem with detecting the signal that it's getting and selecting the decoding method to use. That's why I suggested that you "manually" pick the decoder on the rec. so it matches what the source is you're playing on your Popcorn Hour. Yes, the rec. should be able to do this itself...but as mentioned before, some rec. get confused and pick the wrong decoder...which = no audio since it can't decode AC3 as DTS and AC3 as DTS.

But since I don't have a HDMI HDTV I can't test what settings work (on the Popcorn Hour) and what would cause problems from that end. That's why I suggest that you only test with coaxial for now until you work out the issue. Since if that didn't work you would see a lot more threads about the issue.
Thread Closed