Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
slow loading
07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
slow loading
The NMT box seems slow at loading. This takes 15 minutes, and I gather its from changing the permissions on ALL of the files on the HD. My hard-drive contains a lot of documents, videos, music files and so takes a long time.

Ive looked at /etc/init_nmt and shows
chmod 777 $SHAREROOT -R
and
chown -R nmt:nmt $SHAREROOT

This seems to be trigged when the permissions or user owner is incorrect. That's fine, but why does it continue to do it each time ? Does this script have bugs,, can 'ls' see 'nmt' or should it detect 501, also why does it do it 5 times the the WHOLE hard-drive. why not just do it in /share/Video, Music, and so on.. so my additional folders /share/home/me/... is ignored.

I understand this is to allow NMT player full access to the HD, but it makes things a lot slower.

Oxonian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to oxonian for this post
08-03-2009, 03:35 AM
RE: slow loading
Is there nobody that studies or develops for the NMT device that has ideas about this ?

I cant find any bootup logs or messages to show what the box is actually doing while loading...

Oxonian
08-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Don't think there's anything useful in /var/logs or so but you could try demsg to see if the problem is already at that stage.

I assume you have a rather large drive. Mind sharing brand/model?

Good findings, by the way.

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I have the same trouble.
First when my HDD was empty didn't matter but it seems while my amount of files is increasing that means more time to wait for loading when I turn on NMT...
I want to use my NMT as media center and network storage drive for all my files...
Is there a workarround for making it faster at loading?, partitioning or something else?
My HDD is 1.5TB

Regards.
08-12-2009, 06:23 PM
the init_nmt script is stored in system flash where as users we cant edit the file(not in persistant way at least), and there is no way as a user to inject into the boot process before this script is run.

Its unfortunate, but it seems unless syabas are interested in changing this(likely not, as its a quick hack to ignore file permissions so they didn't have to fix bugs in other programs they just suggest a reboot) we are all stuck as is.

journey471

Automated TV Downloads | On-Demand Network Shares | Faster PHP (lighttpd+fastcgi+apc)
PCH-A100 | PCH-C200 | XBMC HTPC | Sharp Aquos 42D62U | Logitech Z-5500
11-02-2009, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2009 01:39 PM by laureck.)
(07-30-2009 02:52 PM)oxonian Wrote:  The NMT box seems slow at loading. This takes 15 minutes, and I gather its from changing the permissions on ALL of the files on the HD. My hard-drive contains a lot of documents, videos, music files and so takes a long time.

Ive looked at /etc/init_nmt and shows
chmod 777 $SHAREROOT -R
and

This seems to be trigged when the permissions or user owner is incorrect. That's fine, but why does it continue to do it each time ? Does this script have bugs,, can 'ls' see 'nmt' or should it detect 501, also why does it do it 5 times the the WHOLE hard-drive. why not just do it in /share/Video, Music, and so on.. so my additional folders /share/home/me/... is ignored.

I'm a little late on this one but I currently have the same lengthy bootup issue.
This is a nice finding you made here but I'm not sure if this could be the reason why bootup is so slow. As you said, both recursive chown and chmod are bound to initial tests:
Code:
CHECKMODE="`ls -ld $SHAREROOT | grep drwxrwxrwx`"
        if test -z $CHECKMODE
        then
                echo "Do chmod on $SHAREROOT ..."
                chmod 777 $SHAREROOT -R
        fi

CHECKMODE="`ls -ld $SHAREROOT | grep root`"
        if test -n "$CHECKMODE"
        then
        echo "Do chown on HDD..."
        fi
in both cases, the condition is wrong and the lengthy chown / chmod are not run.
I tried to launch the script by hand through telnet and it does not launch lengthy operations...

<update>
Actually I sort of demonstrated that I'm wrong: chmod does not seem to be an issue but chown seems to get executed at each reboot.
As I understand the script above (2nd part) chown -R nmt:nmt should be executed if (and only if) $SHAREROOT (the internal hard drive) belongs to root. In this case a chown is needed to allow gaya to browse it.

To test this, I created a file as root in a subdirectory :
Code:
/opt/sybhttpd/localhost.drives/HARD_DISK # touch bin/mytest
/opt/sybhttpd/localhost.drives/HARD_DISK # ls -l bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Nov  3 10:26 mytest
As you can see, mytest belongs to root and has permissions 644.
Then I rebooted the pch.
After the lengthy boot, I telneted to it and checked the file mode and owner :
Code:
/opt/sybhttpd/localhost.drives/HARD_DISK/bin # ls -l
-rw-r--r--    1 nmt      nmt             0 Nov  3 10:26 mytest
As you can see now, permissions were not changed but mytest now belongs to nmt.
This file is in a subdirectory of $SHAREROOT so it must have been changed with a recursive chown, hence the long bootup time.

I'll submit a bug when I can find the reason why this chown is triggered
</update>
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A-110 transfers unreal slow MovieLower 0 1,301 05-29-2010 01:02 PM
Last Post: MovieLower
  No Video output after loading beanyman1000 3 1,620 04-12-2010 06:56 PM
Last Post: spawn
  Slow speeds copying from A110 to Windows 7 LionelLazenby 0 1,741 03-19-2010 11:16 PM
Last Post: LionelLazenby
  a-110 not loading up when lan cable is plugged in. miikkax 0 1,109 03-17-2010 07:11 PM
Last Post: miikkax
  Transmission interface very slow egg 0 2,328 12-08-2009 10:20 AM
Last Post: egg
  NTFS 3g not loading. What am i doing wrong? Gemni69 9 3,404 12-06-2009 05:11 AM
Last Post: lundman
  A110 Wont Fire Up After Loading Symbol m2dmhot 0 1,037 11-22-2009 06:45 AM
Last Post: m2dmhot
  No TV signal after "Loading...." kbca 1 1,133 11-16-2009 03:57 PM
Last Post: daniel_owen_uk
  Dynamic Javascript Loading lordy 3 1,893 11-02-2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: lordy
  Bittorrent webui not loading Djiest 0 1,460 10-18-2009 01:40 PM
Last Post: Djiest