Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
[XBMC] A Port By ejp. They Said It Couldn't Be Done. *PRIVATE BETA* *INVITE ONLY*
05-11-2010, 06:15 PM
RE: [XBMC] A Port By ejp. They Said It Couldn't Be Done. *PRIVATE BETA* *INVITE ONLY*
This looks interesting,
We'll see when the public version comes out

My PCH-A110 Stats | Samsung LE32A656 | Logitech Z-2300 | Harmony One
Oversight | Sick Beard DOGnzb | NZBGet | Transmission | Lighttpd | ...
Find all posts by this user
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
RE: [XBMC] A Port By ejp. They Said It Couldn't Be Done. *PRIVATE BETA* *INVITE ONLY*
IMPORTANT

Everyone, thank you for the support. I didn't know I was going to gather this must interest within 10 hours.

I've noticed I was receiving donations, which was unforeseen. While I truly am thankful for them, I must make clear that you can NOT buy your spot on the beta testing team if, in fact, that was the true motive of your donation.

I'll update the 1st post with this "rule" and I will contact all the donors via Email -- I will offer to send your donation back.

I also see that some of you are lobbying for Syabas to send me hardware (A-200, C-200, etc.). Though this is flattering, I must say that donations or "complimentary" hardware or anything else may not necessarily speed up the beta process or even guarantee a timely release.

There are, or there will be, *-200 users on the beta team, so testing on that front is fully satisfied.

Again, while I and the beta team truly appreciate the support, by this notice, I'm simply trying to take a little bit of pressure off of us (I suppose it's hard to when we're on the forefront of something big).

As you can imagine, this is a large project, and even just announcing it 10 hours ago was a major step.

Thank you for understanding,
ejp & The XBeta Team

(05-11-2010 11:51 AM)AlramEast Wrote:  Looks realy cool. Since it's XBMC I would guess it runs fine on a SD tv?

I haven't tried, but I suspect it would. It may or may not run as suspected because I believe most of the skins were designed for HD.

(05-11-2010 03:53 PM)moddigi Wrote:  When this is up and running, would it be 'self contained' like Oversight, so you'd no longer require the use of your PC to build a library?

Yes, just like true XBMC fashion, there's no PC-interaction required -- other than perhaps streaming content from one.

[XBMC] A Port by ejp - They Said It Couldn't Be Done.
05-11-2010, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 06:23 PM by dh2005.)
(05-11-2010 06:18 PM)ejp Wrote:  While I truly am thankful for them, I must make clear that you can NOT buy your spot on the beta testing team if, in fact, that was the true motive of your donation.

Oh, mate. The thought never crossed my mind. For one thing, I don't own a 100-series NMT anymore...!

No. My donation was motivated entirely out of gratitude for all the work that you've done for us. You don't need to e-mail me about returning the donation; it's for you.
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Amazing! Just came across and whished that could as well run on the HDX BD-1... Cool
05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok so initial shock and awe over with, I actually have a couple of questions.

Firstly how much was rewritten from the original XBMC? I ask this as I am worried about how close the two branches will be. Will there be a month or two lag in development between the two (Of course this is expected initially as this was in no way an easy task) or will the two almost be in sync as far as development goes? Sorry if this question seems a little confusing, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much is actually different, are there tons of code changes or is XBMC abstract enough to allow new features to be smoothly laid on top?

Another is a question clearly on everyone's mind, how far along is this. You say it is in the beta stages, but is it really in a pre-alpha testing stage? Are most major bugs squashed and the rest is just a process of eliminating small bugs and optimizing the GUI and graphics as much as possible?

Thank you for entertaining my questions.
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
XBMC Heart
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
he did it again !!

awesome ejp cant wait to see this running on (my) c-200 Exclamation

05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
(05-11-2010 07:18 PM)kkryptonyte Wrote:  Firstly how much was rewritten from the original XBMC? I ask this as I am worried about how close the two branches will be. Will there be a month or two lag in development between the two (Of course this is expected initially as this was in no way an easy task) or will the two almost be in sync as far as development goes? Sorry if this question seems a little confusing, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much is actually different, are there tons of code changes or is XBMC abstract enough to allow new features to be smoothly laid on top?

Another is a question clearly on everyone's mind, how far along is this. You say it is in the beta stages, but is it really in a pre-alpha testing stage? Are most major bugs squashed and the rest is just a process of eliminating small bugs and optimizing the GUI and graphics as much as possible?

To answer your 1st question, I started the project back on March 1, and it took all that time to get what you see in the video now. I suspect as there are more updates down the road, though I don't expect them to be frequent, it shouldn't take long after an official XBMC release to get an XBMC-NMT release.

I said I don't expect frequent updates because, in my opinion, XBMC is extremely stable as it is. I know some people are using releases from years ago without any issues. I feel most of the XBMC updates are minor and many are hardware/software related -- hardware and software that don't necessarily affect the NMT. There was a 7-month gap between the last 2 XBMC updates.

Additionally, the NMT software and hardware doesn't change often. I can't account for the *-200 series, but firmware updates are very stable for the *-100 series, so they're rather sparse. After the popbox comes out, I have a feeling we won't see another NMT for a good while.

So I'm developing XBMC-NMT with a sense of finality. This means beta testing may be extended if necessary.

For your 2nd question, I'm not exactly sure what you want to call this particular stage of testing, but at this point, we're dealing with smaller bugs, and perhaps even finding new larger ones. We're also working on optimization, getting everything to run as smooth as possible for ALL NMTs, including the A-100. We want to make sure it, not only looks like XBMC, but also feels like XBMC -- a 100% port. We also want to make sure that things that work today will work tomorrow and the next day.

I'm sorry if this answer felt a little vague. Part of the reason is because I simply cannot foretell the future. I know we're currently on a good track, but we're only 12 hours into the beta testing.

05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
(05-11-2010 09:28 AM)ejp Wrote:  I'll get a playback video up. It runs well, but I guess I'll let all of you be the judge of that.

I await the playback video. keep up the good work.
05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Simply amazing,even more amazing is that its running on the 100 series. My only concern is that some of the yamj skins ive downloaded after awhile wouldnt be able to play 1080p movies due to a cache issue and you would have to reset the pch, will this have that issue too? Again great job so far.
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
So playback is actually working at the moment? If so that is even more impressive.

More teaser videos are of course greatly appreciated. Cool

17TB WHS 2011 w/FlexRaid -> PCH C200: Hitachi 2,5" 160GB & LG CH08 BD-ROM -> Onkyo TX-SR507B -> Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090
[Image: watched-fanart.jpg]
05-11-2010, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 08:24 PM by stejan.)
OMG... A-we-so-me Exclamation
As a old fashion XBox XBMC addict and a NMT plugin developer, I have to say I'm REALLY impressed by this piece of code.

Can't wait for a beta release Big Grin

Best regards
Sleepy
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
(05-11-2010 07:57 PM)tennisbgc Wrote:  Simply amazing,even more amazing is that its running on the 100 series. My only concern is that some of the yamj skins ive downloaded after awhile wouldnt be able to play 1080p movies due to a cache issue and you would have to reset the pch, will this have that issue too? Again great job so far.

In my own testing, I haven't had any playback trouble due to caching issues. Then again, I rarely ever had any caching issues before this project.

I've made it clear to the beta testers that playback is a large part of the project. I'm making sure I get a very complete arsenal of beta testers. I've requested that they give me MediaInfo logs on every file they play.

We're also testing long-term playback and, what I call, stress-test playback. Long-term means playing movie-after-movie for a period of 24 straight hours. Stress-test means going through many high-bitrate movies in a short period of time -- during playback, the user will fast-forward, rewind, pause, play, stop, then repeat with the next movie.

XBMC also has a complete OSD function, so we need to make sure that 100% works as well.

05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
(05-11-2010 07:50 PM)ejp Wrote:  To answer your 1st question, I started the project back on March 1, and it took all that time to get what you see in the video now. I suspect as there are more updates down the road, though I don't expect them to be frequent, it shouldn't take long after an official XBMC release to get an XBMC-NMT release.

I said I don't expect frequent updates because, in my opinion, XBMC is extremely stable as it is. I know some people are using releases from years ago without any issues. I feel most of the XBMC updates are minor and many are hardware/software related -- hardware and software that don't necessarily affect the NMT. There was a 7-month gap between the last 2 XBMC updates.

Additionally, the NMT software and hardware doesn't change often. I can't account for the *-200 series, but firmware updates are very stable for the *-100 series, so they're rather sparse. After the popbox comes out, I have a feeling we won't see another NMT for a good while.

So I'm developing XBMC-NMT with a sense of finality. This means beta testing may be extended if necessary.

Sounds spot on with my question. I guess the fact that I started using XBMC right as they were integrating a more advanced addons system which has brought their development to a near stand still while they sort out all the issues generated with the new addons system.

I also out of curiosity looked through the branches in SVN and GIT wondering if you had your branch in there. Sadly it wasn't there, guess you're working out of a private repo.

(05-11-2010 07:50 PM)ejp Wrote:  For your 2nd question, I'm not exactly sure what you want to call this particular stage of testing, but at this point, we're dealing with smaller bugs, and perhaps even finding new larger ones. We're also working on optimization, getting everything to run as smooth as possible for ALL NMTs, including the A-100. We want to make sure it, not only looks like XBMC, but also feels like XBMC -- a 100% port. We also want to make sure that things that work today will work tomorrow and the next day.

I'm sorry if this answer felt a little vague. Part of the reason is because I simply cannot foretell the future. I know we're currently on a good track, but we're only 12 hours into the beta testing.

So most major bugs are squashed and all that's left is optimization? Thats good, I guess from reading similar porting topics around XBMC Forums it sounded like a port would take a lot longer (More than 2 months).

Great job on the port and good luck with future developments. Hopefully Team XBMC picks this up and it gets the same sponsorship and support the current release have.

I could probably find this from digging, but what instruction set do the Sigma chips use. Are they ARM chips with additional video additions or is it x86 based? Sorry if that question sounds noobish, I'm not as familiar with processor architecture as I would like to be. I think it was mention either here or in the XBMC topic, but does the Sigma chip offer any 3D acceleration (GUI wise) or is all the GUI rendering using software libraries.
05-11-2010, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 08:38 PM by accident.)
they are mips based cpus with additional hardware playback ability, directfs and I forget the sigma presentation stuff is called.. easiest to search for the chipset model and bring up the spec sheets
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [plexNMT] Beta Release, Download and Install rip77 118 27,529 10-12-2013 10:36 AM
Last Post: Atinkler
  AppleTV with XBMC OWG 6 2,911 03-08-2012 05:05 AM
Last Post: OWG
  XBMC port will it be available for Sigma 8643 also? x0cHiPiLLi 2 3,570 01-28-2011 11:38 PM
Last Post: accident
  ejb's XBMC Port jhabers 21 8,788 01-21-2011 09:55 PM
Last Post: accident
  [split] [XBMC] A Port By ejp. Doubting Thomas's Thread extension23 160 45,910 09-02-2010 12:07 AM
Last Post: halfelite
  [Download] UMC V1.84 - Beta - NOW AVAILABLE DonGyros 349 130,783 04-11-2010 11:39 PM
Last Post: Alex2009
  beta Testing for Music Video Flow for X200 Users michael1t 2 2,324 03-17-2010 07:51 PM
Last Post: michael1t
  XBMC on C-200? Mitchlw 14 8,298 02-18-2010 10:16 AM
Last Post: daniel_owen_uk
  Beta Testers for Music Video Flow michael1t 0 1,765 02-16-2010 12:59 AM
Last Post: michael1t
  Music Jukebox similiar to XBMC zeenon 1 4,309 10-19-2009 05:46 PM
Last Post: kryzchek