Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
Thread Closed 
Please restore my faith
07-22-2010, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2010 11:00 AM by Fudgemunk.)
Please restore my faith
In the ability of these things to play back 1080p MKV. I have been very disappointed with the PlayOn Mini in terms of picture quality and stuttering on high bitrate files. So now I'm looking at other streamers, particularly the A-200 or C-200. But as you can imagine I'm reluctant to pull the trigger. What can I expect of picture quality in terms of high bitrate 1080p MKV playback, either streaming or from a hard drive? How would you compare it to the PlayOn or PS3 if you've used either of those devices?
Most of the files I have are x264 and DTSMA audio.
Find all posts by this user
07-22-2010, 09:21 PM
RE: Please restore my faith
what exactly are we restoring your faith in? We aren't playon users so we really can't compare
07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
The only comparison I can do is A200 - PS3

I have 1080p rips of Avatar and Final Fantasy Advent Children Complete, to which I also own the Bluray's of.

I would have a very hard time telling you the picture quality differences between the Rip played on the A200 and the Bluray played through the PS3, to the point where I would say, picture quality wise, there is no difference.

Also, the PlayON Mini is not an NMT, and, as frank and honest as I can be, I couldn't care less how good it is or isn't, it could have a full colour decal of a Dog Turd printed on top for all I would care, however, the NMT's are imo, as good, if not better than virtually every other media streamer/player currently on the market, sure they have some niggles and some bugs, but you expect that in this niche market, where the cream of the crop is done by smaller independent companies.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Red - White - and - Murloc
07-22-2010, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 10:14 PM by Fudgemunk.)
(07-22-2010 09:21 PM)accident Wrote:  what exactly are we restoring your faith in? We aren't playon users so we really can't compare

Restore my faith in the ability of these things to play back 1080p properly. I was hoping some of the users on here may have used a c-200 aswell as a playon or PS3 and could compare, is that such a ridiculous idea?

(07-22-2010 09:34 PM)LinearCannoN Wrote:  The only comparison I can do is A200 - PS3

I have 1080p rips of Avatar and Final Fantasy Advent Children Complete, to which I also own the Bluray's of.

I would have a very hard time telling you the picture quality differences between the Rip played on the A200 and the Bluray played through the PS3, to the point where I would say, picture quality wise, there is no difference.

This is the kinda comparison I was looking for, thank you.

(07-22-2010 09:34 PM)LinearCannoN Wrote:  Also, the PlayON Mini is not an NMT, and, as frank and honest as I can be, I couldn't care less how good it is or isn't, it could have a full colour decal of a Dog Turd printed on top for all I would care, however, the NMT's are imo, as good, if not better than virtually every other media streamer/player currently on the market, sure they have some niggles and some bugs, but you expect that in this niche market, where the cream of the crop is done by smaller independent companies.

I'm not asking you to 'care' about the playon, get over yourself. The PlayOn is not a NMT? How does it differentiate then? This is the kind of elitist bullshit that infuriates people. Again, get over your fucking self.
(07-22-2010 08:56 PM)Fudgemunk Wrote:  So now I'm looking at other streamers, particularly the C-200. But as you can imagine I'm reluctant to pull the trigger. What can I expect of picture quality in terms of high bitrate 1080p .mkv playback, either streaming or from a harddrive? How would you compare it to the PlayOn or PS3?

Wow I didn't realize how utterly ridiculous this question was, what the hell was I thinking!?

/sarcasm
07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
You sure know how to make friends who want to help you out.....

C-200 || YAMJ || AEON || Lowlist 75%
Acer Aspire EasyStore WHS [(1) 1TB WD Green(sys), (2) 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint(data), (1) 2TB WD Green (data)]
Vivitek H1080FD || 110" DIY BOC screen || Onkyo HT-S6100 || Logitech Harmony 1100 || (2) Netgear GS-605
07-22-2010, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 10:23 PM by accident.)
(07-22-2010 10:11 PM)Fudgemunk Wrote:  I'm not asking you to 'care' about the playon, get over yourself. The PlayOn is not a NMT? How does it differentiate then? This is the kind of elitist bullshit that infuriates people. Again, get over your fucking self.

well this will be the last post I ever make to you (and the poster before you) because of your no better than they are for your response except they didn't need to use profanity or personally attack you so maybe your worse..

the 3 devices you mentioned are 3 completely different chipsets donig the playback.. hardware wise, they aren't the same thing... If the playon happened to be a sigma chipset unit (like the qnap or wdtv products) they still aren't NMT's because thats the software the pches run which is different from the others..
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
[Image: banhammer_forecast.gif]

C-200 || YAMJ || AEON || Lowlist 75%
Acer Aspire EasyStore WHS [(1) 1TB WD Green(sys), (2) 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint(data), (1) 2TB WD Green (data)]
Vivitek H1080FD || 110" DIY BOC screen || Onkyo HT-S6100 || Logitech Harmony 1100 || (2) Netgear GS-605
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lewis26 for this post
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow.

Thanks for nothing.

I am truly sorry I ever bothered to ask.

What a great bunch of pedantic, self righteous people you are.
07-22-2010, 10:33 PM
You can blame yourself. LinearCannoN might have gotten a little off topic but he gave you the answer you were looking for. And you turned around and used profanity and spit attacks at him. If you dont understand what makes an NMT a NMT then ask. There is a huge difference in this market going from product to product. Your first question was legitimate the way you responded after that was childish. Please refrain from using profanity and personal attacks.
07-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Well OP, your kind of asking us to sell you on NMT units and for the vast majority of people here, that is not our job. Most of us, are just normal users and like the NMTs but to say they are the "best of the best" is very far reaching. Who knows? I think they are darn good but what do I know? What device services a person best, depends on so many factors.

I assure you, the responders in this thread, are normally very helpful people. I'm not sure exactly where the thread went astray but it's not looking good at this point.

C-200, A-110 both playing from a DIY Linux Raid 5 server.

Remuxes, Captures and Transcodes done on a desktop running;
Win7, Intel i7 hexacore processor with 24 GB ram, WD VR OS drive and a WD Black 2 TB data drive.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to nuke12 for this post
07-22-2010, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 10:53 PM by Fudgemunk.)
(07-22-2010 10:33 PM)halfelite Wrote:  You can blame yourself. LinearCannoN might have gotten a little off topic but he gave you the answer you were looking for. And you turned around and used profanity and spit attacks at him. If you dont understand what makes an NMT a NMT then ask. There is a huge difference in this market going from product to product. Your first question was legitimate the way you responded after that was childish. Please refrain from using profanity and personal attacks.

No. I won't blame myself. I apologize for not being as knowledgeable as some of you, but everyone is a novice to begin with. We all have to start somewhere.

I didn't personally attack anyone. I told them to get over themselves, which I stick by.

(07-22-2010 09:34 PM)LinearCannoN Wrote:  I couldn't care less how good it is or isn't, it could have a full colour decal of a Dog Turd printed on top for all I would care

And this isn't childish? Speak to me with respect and you will get the same in return. Dress it up how you like, I asked a legitimate question and was derided for it, that is not helpful.

(07-22-2010 10:45 PM)nuke12 Wrote:  Well OP, your kind of asking us to sell you on NMT units and for the vast majority of people here, that is not our job. Most of us, are just normal users and like the NMTs but to say they are the "best of the best" is very far reaching. Who knows? I think they are darn good but what do I know? What device services a person best, depends on so many factors.

I assure you, the responders in this thread, are normally very helpful people. I'm not sure exactly where the thread went astray but it's not looking good at this point.

In a nutshell, I was just basically asking what these products were like at playing back 1080p matroska. I was told the PlayOn were good at it but that didn't turn out to be the case, so I was just looking for reassurance. I know this isn't a PlayOn users forum, but I thought some people may have experience in using them and could give me a comparison.
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
^^ Was a valid response.
All the popcorn hours have very good 1080p playback. And its always in the eyes of the watcher. As to how good it is. You can now purchase the popcorn hour from amazon which does have a 30day send back period if you are not happy with the product I think. But I would suggest you do a lot of reading on the different products and the chip sets they use. We are all just normal users here not employed by syabas so you could get a bias opinion if you just look here.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to halfelite for this post
07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I have never played 1080p on my A200 but I know that 720p playback is great and never ever do I come across any hiccups. So I can only assume that 1080p playback will be just as good. Of course I play from an internal HD though and dont leave it to unpredictable results from streaming, I dont trust my router. I have only about 50 movies and 4 TV series with over 300 episodes but it plays them all fine, never have I come across a file the a200 couldnt handle. I dont know anything about the play on or what it can do, but the a200 is very dynamic in my opinion, with torrenting built in, multiple 3rd party jukebox's, ability to install a hard drive, a good range of audio/video output options and more.

I read about 100 reviews on different media players including playon, seagate, a200, wd tv live, and a few others but in the end the a200 always came out on top, it was a little more expensive but very worth it. My family all uses it and my sister is getting one this month too.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to mapleleafs89 for this post
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
(07-22-2010 10:52 PM)Fudgemunk Wrote:  In a nutshell, I was just basically asking what these products were like at playing back 1080p matroska. I was told the PlayOn were good at it but that didn't turn out to be the case, so I was just looking for reassurance. I know this isn't a PlayOn users forum, but I thought some people may have experience in using them and could give me a comparison.

Well, that is a better start. .mkv is very well supported on the C/A-200 units but still not perfect. Any idea what video/audio etc. streams are in the majority of your .mkv? It would make it easier to provide a useful answer.

Another question. Where the heck are you at? Your flag here says the UK but your asking about PlayON which in most cases is a US thing?

C-200, A-110 both playing from a DIY Linux Raid 5 server.

Remuxes, Captures and Transcodes done on a desktop running;
Win7, Intel i7 hexacore processor with 24 GB ram, WD VR OS drive and a WD Black 2 TB data drive.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to nuke12 for this post
07-22-2010, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 11:46 PM by Fudgemunk.)
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I realize my original post could've been worded better and perhaps this thread wouldn't have gone downhill so quickly, I just wanted to give an explanation as to why I was unhappy with the PlayOn as to hopefully avoid making another regrettable purchase.

(07-22-2010 11:27 PM)nuke12 Wrote:  Well, that is a better start. .mkv is very well supported on the C/A-200 units but still not perfect. Any idea what video/audio etc. streams are in the majority of your .mkv? It would make it easier to provide a useful answer.

Another question. Where the heck are you at? Your flag here says the UK but your asking about PlayON which in most cases is a US thing?

The audio is mostly DTSMA and the video is x264.

I didn't know the playon was mostly a US thing, but I'm from the Uk and they are available pretty much everywhere online.

I just came across this post: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...#pid317367

May just be a dealbreaker.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can i restore a drive after a quick fomat Burnerbum 1 1,138 04-04-2008 05:48 AM
Last Post: spawn