Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Please restore my faith
07-23-2010, 06:36 PM
RE: Please restore my faith
What really moved me over to a whs was trasfer speed to the server. On my c-200 with internal drive, I was seeing a max of 18Mbps while transferring films.

On my WHS, I see sustained speeds of 80-100Mbps, with bursts of 120-130Mbps.

C-200 || YAMJ || AEON || Lowlist 75%
Acer Aspire EasyStore WHS [(1) 1TB WD Green(sys), (2) 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint(data), (1) 2TB WD Green (data)]
Vivitek H1080FD || 110" DIY BOC screen || Onkyo HT-S6100 || Logitech Harmony 1100 || (2) Netgear GS-605
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lewis26 for this post
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Had a quick read in the Network section and now my brains hurts....I think one of the hardest things is deciding what option is right for me....I don't know that much about network storage but I know enough to realize that ReadyNas, QNAP whatever, are overpriced for what they are....but the convenience is appealing. I'm on a budget so I want to get real value for money, but anyway, this isn't the right section for that so maybe I'll make a separate post about it Tongue
07-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Your only getting 1 A200 or C200 right, so the media is dedicated for that device and nothing else. Might as well just install a Hard Drive into it or hook up an external or stream from your PC
07-23-2010, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2010 07:25 PM by Fudgemunk.)
Sorry I wasn't very clear. Yeah I'm only getting 1 PCH and have decided to get 2TB to wack in it for the time being....I was really talking about what I'm going to do down the line....you know when that drive is full....NAS, WHS etc.
I was looking at this that someone posted in another thread: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...rt%20EX490
Seems like such better value than say a ReadyNas or QNAP...
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Acer also makes a very nice WHS with an atom processor. I have all my media on it, and yamj runs everyday automatically on it.

C-200 || YAMJ || AEON || Lowlist 75%
Acer Aspire EasyStore WHS [(1) 1TB WD Green(sys), (2) 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint(data), (1) 2TB WD Green (data)]
Vivitek H1080FD || 110" DIY BOC screen || Onkyo HT-S6100 || Logitech Harmony 1100 || (2) Netgear GS-605
07-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Synology NAS for me. Just got an email about the DS-411+ being launched today in the UK but thisd one is cheaper and more than enough for HD:-
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Synology-...Phone-Apps

It's worth spending more on a decent NAS as I look at mine to last a long time. Longer than a PC and with my precious files on there I don't want to put them in jeopardy or have not enough features just to save a few quid and regret it big time later on..

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
07-24-2010, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2010 12:01 AM by accident.)
nas's go on sale all the time, so if its full price and you don't need it wait and watch for sales... A hard drive in the pch, while not that speedy to copy too will get you started and you can decide just how large of a unit you need and wait for your preferred model to go on sale..
07-24-2010, 12:13 AM
(07-23-2010 07:24 PM)Fudgemunk Wrote:  Sorry I wasn't very clear. Yeah I'm only getting 1 PCH and have decided to get 2TB to wack in it for the time being....I was really talking about what I'm going to do down the line....you know when that drive is full....NAS, WHS etc.
I was looking at this that someone posted in another thread: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...rt%20EX490
Seems like such better value than say a ReadyNas or QNAP...

If you have alot of media and you want that storage solution to last for years to come with expanability and you are not technical as in you want plug and play then you want a WHS, plain and simple, there are no exceptions. No matter how much other things users will mention the WHS will do what others can do and then some. Im not even going to mention price because it beats them all except the free build your own servers.

PCH A-200 16GB USB -> HDMI -> Samsung LN46A650 | A200 -> Toslink -> Logitech Z-5500 (Harmony 700)
PCH C-200 8GB USB -> HDMI -> Sharp LC46D64U (Harmony 550)
Eversion Whisper eskin + WHS V1 (25TB Q6600/4GB RAM ) -> Mediasonic HR82-SU3S2 (Backup)
D-Link DNS 323 for sale
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Specter for this post
07-24-2010, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2010 12:39 AM by Fudgemunk.)
Ok thanks Specter, but that begs the question, why do people choose ready built NAS over WHS? They do pretty much the same thing don't they? But the NAS's are far more expensive, so why do people buy them?
07-24-2010, 12:52 AM
There are pros and cons to all different units.. you mainly need to find the one with the most pros that will grow with how you plan to use it the next 5 years..

WHS's main couple advantages are:
-it grows really well with new storage over time. so you can use 2TB drives as needed right now.. when you fill those, you can start to add externals and jbods with larger drives if they exist when you need htem.. and then even later add some more that are different sizes again.. When it comes to large home video storage for playback its a system that will grow well with you.
- It's windows, and most home users are windows users.. the main advantage of this is its a little familiar to you, although your interaction will be int he special make it easy for your mom console but it can run other programs designed for windows so you can use it for more than just storage in a desktop you might be more familiar with than say a special unix install.
- Theres a lot of utils that are based on using it to store media.. toss on an external bluirray drive and theres an application that will rip your movies and music doing nothing more than popping in the disc and when it ejects its done..
- cost.. its reasonable and if you catch it on sale a name WHS will be about the same cost as building it yourself.

For sake of your question the primary disadvantage is the options you have to "protect the media".. aka raid or other methods... the method that whs has available needs double the storage to protect your files in the event of failure.. however because of the method if theres files you don't care about protection you don't have to waste the space.. its very common for people to "protect/duplicate" their personal photos, important papers and home videos but not protect their video rips and then this con doesnt' exist anymore because if you only have 5G of photos, you only need 10G to protect them..
[+] 1 user says Thank You to accident for this post
07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok that's interesting, thanks for the detailed response.
07-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Love this kind of post. You read the title, first post and last post and still don't know what it was all about...
07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Edited first post to hopefully make it clearer Tongue
07-24-2010, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2010 11:51 AM by PeterB.)
(07-23-2010 06:05 PM)Fudgemunk Wrote:  Hey, thanks for the input. Could you elaborate on why you found an internal drive to be restrictive?

Two problems with internal drive(s) - there's a limit to how much filespace you can create within the PCH, especially when I have concerns about heat dissipation where ambient temperatures are above 30C most days. Secondly, copying files to the internal drive over the network takes a long time.

Quote:And also why the QNAP wasn't up to the job of running slimserver. Trying to learn as much as I can about this before I dive in head first.

This was an old QNAP TS-101, which ran Slimserver v6.3 perfectly well. Then Slimserver was upgraded, and the poor little 101 ran out of processor power and memory. Secondly, at that time, it was (almost?) impossible for the user to integrate Slimserver into the QNAP O/S - one always had to wait for the UK distributor to complete the port, meaning that one could be months behind the mainstream releases of Slimserver. Also, all plugins had to specially ported, so you were further reliant on the distributor. Thirdly, although it's running Linux, the QNAP didn't include NFS - all file sharing and transfers were done using SMB, which is particularly annoying to someone who hates Microsoft!

Anyway, the lessons learned were that closed hardware and closed software are very restricting - even if the unit meets your needs at the time of purchase, you can quickly reach a point where those restrictions prevent you from moving forward.

PS. I've just looked at the Progressive (UK QNAP distributor) website ... the last activity on TS-101 SS was January 2007, and only eight plugins have been ported. What is significant is that there is a SS 6.5.1 to 6.3.1 downgrader because v6.5 performs so badly.

PPS. Do take a look at unRAID. It may seem like a 'techy' solution, but it really couldn't be much easier to build an unRAID server. Almost any old PC hardware will do for a start, as long as you can persuade the BIOS to boot from USB, and then just copy a few files onto a USB memory stick.

C-200 - USB local storage, HDMI to Sony Bravia KLV-46X450A, S/PDIF to Sony DAV-F500
A-200 - USB local storage, HDMI to Sony Bravia KLV-32W400A
All media stored on an unRAID server.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to PeterB for this post
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can i restore a drive after a quick fomat Burnerbum 1 1,138 04-04-2008 05:48 AM
Last Post: spawn