Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
MKV playback with HD video and audio : clarification - A110 and A200
08-10-2010, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2010 05:51 PM by MITblackjackjm.)
MKV playback with HD video and audio : clarification - A110 and A200
I am creating a separate thread to address this issue as many questions and responses came up in my post regarding a full BD wireless BKM.

I have been struggling for years? with the inability to play MKV files created with full, uncompressed BD streams. Everything else has played without issue but full 1:1 BD MKV files always caused issues to the point that I just gave up and used the .ts container for all full HD video and audio. Have never had any issues with MKV files until full BD 1:1 file tracks, but am now very certain that most if not all the issues involve the use of HD audio.

While it may have been reported in the past, it is now clear that you cannot play any MKV files if the primary audio is TrueHD or DTSHD. This appears to be the case with the A110 as well even though it will pass HD audio from other formats.

It would be good to clarify again what will and will not play in the MKV container format for uncompressed BD video and audio with the current PCH players.

I have been doing a lot of testing over the last week since receiving an A200 unit to try and play full 1:1 BD MKV files ... with little success.

Just a reminder note that the MKV container can hold HD video/audio and PGS subtitles. These can be merged, moved, added and removed with the latest versions of MKVToolnix/MKV merge (note with 4.2.0 to manually set compresson for all tracks to "none). The latest versions of MakeMKV will also produce MKV files with the HD audio and PGS subtitles and is great for quickly getting the "forced" subtitles only. Generally remux any MakeMKV files produced with MKVmerge to check settings/defaults and get "best" MKV file.

The problem is that none of the PCH units appear to be able to handle the HD audio in an MKV container. This is known for the A200 as it does not pass HD audio with the latest firmware, but the A110 has passed HD audio for years but it appears that when it is in an MKV file it causes problems.

To summarize, would like to know what does work today with the A110 and A200. I believe the listing below summarizes the status but would like to know from Syabase Popcorn Hour team what should and should not work and play in an MKV container.

MKV Playback Summary List:

A110 (latest firmware release)
HD Video - YES
HD Audio - NO
PGS Subs - NO
Note: HD audio will pass through and is fine with .ts container, subtitles must be .srt file type
Currently use the A110 as "production" unit with .ts containers for HD video and audio, .srt subtitle files and all works great.

A200 (current firmware as of this date)
HD Video - YES with some VC-1 issues
HD Audio - NO
PGS Subs - YES (SD only, not HD 1920x1020 resolution)
Note: The A200 does not pass HD audio under any single file "container" with current firmware. Under testing currently but awaiting new firmware to see if can just upgrade, "Plug and Play" with the A110. That is not possible with current firmware ... very frustrating, but hopeful things will change over the next couple of weeks.

A200 (with firmware to be released soon ... 2-3 weeks?)
HD Video - YES
HD Audio - YES
PGS Subs - YES

Is this correct?
Will the A110 ever support HD audio in MKV files?

To those who might also be playing these files on a PC, the MKV files with HD audio and PGS subtitles play perfectly with latest versions of MPC-HC (2099) and VLC (1.1.2) ... and yes I know that a PC has far more processing power, etc. ... this is just a note of reference.

Also note that do not believe there are any MKV file issues relative to construction etc. All are clean, checked and have been constructed and tested with the latest Matroska tools.

I am continuing some tests to see if can have the "std" audio and HD audio in the MKV file with the "std" set as default and play the MKV file on the A110 and A200 and will report later.

A110 PCH : A200 PCH : C200 PCH
Network with 24TB Windows Home Server as media base
Over 1,500 ripped, networked movies from original purchased DVD and BD discs
AnyDVDHD - toNMT - HandBrake - tsMuxer - MKVToolnix - MakeMKV
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2010, 12:39 AM
RE: MKV playback with HD video and audio : clarification - A110 and A200
yes that is correct.

Will the A110 ever support HD audio is hard to say remember the A100 has been out for 3 years now. Its getting close to retiring age i assume.
08-10-2010, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2010 06:20 PM by MITblackjackjm.)
(08-10-2010 12:39 AM)halfelite Wrote:  yes that is correct.

Will the A110 ever support HD audio is hard to say remember the A100 has been out for 3 years now. Its getting close to retiring age i assume.

Wow ... finally have got it to work ... just before the new firmware comes out ... :-(

But if anyone is interested I finally got the 1:1 BD MKV files to work with the A200 and most with the A110 as well.

You must down convert and use the "core" DTS and TrueHD tracks and set the default track flag to yes ...

You can still have the Lossless DTSHD and TrueHD tracks in the container but they must have the default track flag set to no.

For subtitles you can add the srt files for A110 viewing and they will work with the A200 as well. Again, set the default track flag to yes if you want to view the srt subtitles on the A110.

Now have MKV files that play and contain the HD audio files that can be turned on as desired in the future ... :-)

Again, if using MKVToolnix/MKVmerge 4.2.0, please make sure to set all Extra options/Compression to "none" at this point in time.

So a typical MKV file would have the following tracks:
Video - default yes
Audio "core" - default yes
HD Audio - default no
PGS Subtitles - default no
SRT Subtitles - default yes
Chapter list

All files that have been muxed and tried so far have played without issue on the A200 and are ready for when HD audio capability is ready ...

Most if not all also play on the A110, but checking on some stuttering issues.

UPDATES:
PGS subtitles do not play correctly on the A200 in MKV wrapper unless SD. SRT subs are fine. This is supposed to be corrected in new firmware as well.

The full 1:1 MKV files with so many tracks with both "std" and HD audio do not play correctly on the A110. They "stutter" ... like the A110 cannot handle the overhead with so much file info. They appear fine on the A200. The A110 plays the .ts files (no PGS) with file srt subs without issue.

Baraka with extra tracks in MKV is first file to bring the A200 to its knees ... stuttering at the waterfall scene at 28 minutes on ... but with the extra information in the file it might have been the first case to actually be a network limitation! ... While I don't trust the Mbps readings coming across the A200, this file showed highest ever, peaking over 70Mbps!!! ... Will test again with just video and one audio track in MKV. Plays fine with single DTSHD audio in .ts file but cannot get any reading for Mbps on screen.

08-10-2010, 09:14 AM
(08-10-2010 03:57 AM)MITblackjackjm Wrote:  UPDATE:
PGS subtitle files are not playing correctly on the A200, they do not appear so far but I am watching on a 720p screen currently ... they are fine on computer with MPC-HC and VLS

Seem to recall a bug where if srt subtitle is also available then PGS wont show, or vice versa. Plus something else on PGS.
Anyway fixed I believe in current RC firmware as well. The beta changelogs may offer some further info.

PGS subtitles are High Resolution as well so a different beast entirely than SD srt subs. Both have smoother display in the current RC as well.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
(08-10-2010 09:14 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Seem to recall a bug where if srt subtitle is also available then PGS wont show, or vice versa. Plus something else on PGS.
Anyway fixed I believe in current RC firmware as well. The beta changelogs may offer some further info.

PGS subtitles are High Resolution as well so a different beast entirely than SD srt subs. Both have smoother display in the current RC as well.

The HD PGS subtitles will not play currently in MKV wrapper ... the first file I tested did not include the srt version at all.

The PGS subs will play in .ts wrapper.

I could not find details but I do believe the PGS issue in MKV is being addressed in new firmware ...

Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Internet Video streaming Gjeep 2 2,170 04-02-2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: andrewebs
Thumbsup In case you wonder - Yes the A-410 rocks in terms of video and sound quality! monacoblue 7 713 03-24-2014 09:19 PM
Last Post: Myg
  streaming audio video from android device liamocool 5 583 03-06-2014 01:35 PM
Last Post: Willem53
  Which Device Should Control the Video Settings? blackcows 1 493 02-16-2014 08:16 PM
Last Post: chris57
  4-5 yrs ago my A110 was perfect but....... tebbo66 4 801 12-30-2013 02:01 PM
Last Post: tebbo66
  Stream Different video and audio content Sebb77 5 764 11-11-2013 11:51 AM
Last Post: Willem53
  upgrade time... a110 now what? bohane 13 1,264 11-06-2013 06:07 PM
Last Post: bohane
  Video passthrough neprince 1 680 11-01-2013 04:45 PM
Last Post: halfelite
  A300 Versus A400 for BD ISO Playback jfreytag 14 1,969 09-26-2013 05:25 AM
Last Post: jfreytag
  need advice, A110 -> A400 alexxx 2 1,091 08-19-2013 12:47 AM