Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New to PCH and NMT!
01-09-2011, 08:31 AM
New to PCH and NMT!
Hey everyone, I am soon going to be ordering the c-200 and after searching and reading guides and topics for the past couple hours, I wanted to see if I could just get everyone clarified here in one single post / question to help me get a full understanding of what options I have are.

For starters, I know I would probably throw in a 2tb hard drive inside the PCH. I read that you can map that drive to your PC through your network (which I still need to setup) and just basically drag and drop media onto the internal drive from my PC, correct?

Like I just mentioned above, I do NOT have any sort of network setup since I just have my PC connected to my internet modem. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as getting started setting up a simple and secure home network? I know I would need a router, preferably a wireless one so I can connect my iTouch / Android phones to wifi. This wireless router would also have ports on the back so I could connect the PCH to?

I am also thinking longer term as far as storage, and I know the 2TB internal drive will not last very long once I start throwing MKV and ISO files onto it. I read about adding additional hard drives inside my PC and mapping those to one "shared" location. Would this option make the internal HD inside the PCH pointless and I would need to move that HD inside the PC with the others then?

It's late and that's about all I can think of at the moment. Please advise and correct me on anything I may be wrong about, and advise on network routers etc. would be very help full as well!

I look forward to sharing inside this great community!

Sharp LC-47SB57UT | A-210 (coming soon) | 2TB | D-Link DIR-655 | Cat6
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2011, 08:42 AM
RE: New to PCH and NMT!
Yes a nice wireless router will do fine for your simple network. The pch needs to be wired though to play 1080p content if you stream it from your pc. If you think you will need more then 2tb then just stick the drive in your pc and play everything from there.
01-09-2011, 09:11 AM
You are on the right line.

Avoid wireless like the plague for HD streaming or file transfer. You can use a switch in addition to a router to get better speed and avoid having to trail back more than one wire to your router if it is not in the same location as your PC and NMT.

You will need to setup a home local network and depending on your PC OS that will be easy to setup. There are many guides via google on the general stuff and on the WIKI the more NMT specific stuff:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...work_Share

Wireless is fine for internet browsing and small transfers only.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, the main reason I wanted to go wireless was so I can connect to wifi via my cell phone and ipod touch. I would want my PC and the PCH to be wired of course!

I run Vista 64 at the moment if that makes any difference. Any suggestions on a decent router / switch to start looking into?

01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Here's a few WIKI pages for you:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...work_Share
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...figuration
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...irst_Steps
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...-200/C-200

Here are the C200 compatibility pages:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...lity_Lists

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
01-10-2011, 11:06 PM
The way I read this thread, it sounds like you're shying away from putting in an internal drive. I would still put a drive in the nmt even if you're going to eventually go beyond 2TB. For one thing, it's much easier to install the nmt apps on an internal drive- apps that include torrent, nzbget, etc. For another, if all of your media is on your PC, you MUST have your PC on to view it. If you have an internal drive, you can shut the PC down and still watch a movie. Maybe not a huge benefit, but electricity usage does add up.

FWIW, I have a 1TB in mine and have not had a problem managing space. I don't delete everything after I've watched it, but I'm far from a media hoarder.

eGreat EG-M32B - 1TB Samsung EcoGreen F2
01-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the links Chris, and tiny I do plan on adding an internal drive to start. Either 1.5 or 2TB depending on what deal I can get. What I was getting at was when it came time to go beyond that drive, should I pull it and add it to the larger share that would come from my pc, or leave it in the PCH and make a seperate share for my PC ( pc always stays on fyi Smile )

01-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Caution with the new 2 TB drives and larger...WD Green 2TB drives us the newer advanced format system. There is a process for formatting.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=39738

You can follow my thread on the issues I am having and success/failures but the kink above is far more informative.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=47418

Good luck.
01-11-2011, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 10:09 AM by chris57.)
The 200 series now has no problems with Advanced Format HDD's. It was sorted in the last firmware.
WIKI Guide for any 100 series owners with an affected HDD:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...e_NMT_Apps

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Just be sure to have some booze on hand, once you get it, you'll spend alot of time ripping and transferring your media to it. Once you get it loaded, then you can start exploring the jukeboxes available for it. Just be patient. This machine has come a long way in the last year or so but still has a ways to go before its perfect.

PCH C-200 + WD15EARS 1.5Tb HDD + CH08LS10 BluRay
Xbox 360, Wii, PS3 Mods & Cases | Natural Lotion, Goat Milk Soap, Soy Candles & Tarts
01-13-2011, 03:30 AM
(01-11-2011 10:07 AM)chris57 Wrote:  The 200 series now has no problems with Advanced Format HDD's. It was sorted in the last firmware.
WIKI Guide for any 100 series owners with an affected HDD:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...e_NMT_Apps

When I go to make my order, will the one I get already have the newest firmware or will I need to download and install that first thing out of the box Chris?

01-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Quote:basically drag and drop media onto the internal drive from my PC, correct?

This is correct
Quote:Like I just mentioned above, I do NOT have any sort of network setup since I just have my PC connected to my internet modem. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as getting started setting up a simple and secure home network? I know I would need a router, preferably a wireless one so I can connect my iTouch / Android phones to wifi. This wireless router would also have ports on the back so I could connect the PCH to?

I run a simple Network at home, modem connected to router, router connected to switch and everything connected to the switch. Whats connected: 2 PCs, 2 NAS, Popcorn Hour A-110 ect.. You wouldn't prob need the switch since the router would have 4 ports in the back and that is adequate for most people. I also use a D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR-655 which is great.

Quote:I am also thinking longer term as far as storage, and I know the 2TB internal drive will not last very long once I start throwing MKV and ISO files onto it. I read about adding additional hard drives inside my PC and mapping those to one "shared" location. Would this option make the internal HD inside the PCH pointless and I would need to move that HD inside the PC with the others then?

Same here. The solution i came up with is to install a small hard drive on the PCH and then just add a NAS (network assisted Storage) on the network. Presently i have 2 NAS with 2 2Tb HDD in each. Its both connected to the switch which can be accessed by any devices connected to the network or Wifi. I thought of puting the HDDs on the PC but since my sister also uses the move storage, she would need to turn on my pc before she could watch anything. Also your PC would consume more electricity if it was left on 24/7 than a NAS device.

I would agree also with everyone when they say stay away from the wifi if your planning to have a lot of HD media it might work if you have a wireless N router and dongle but i'm guessing it will be fine up to 720p videos. once you get to 1080p or ISO's you'll have a problem.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Jekmyster for this post
01-13-2011, 09:33 AM
(01-13-2011 03:30 AM)dexta Wrote:  When I go to make my order, will the one I get already have the newest firmware or will I need to download and install that first thing out of the box Chris?

Most likely you will have to update. Do it first thing like you suggest.

08-06-2011, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2011 06:45 PM by shmuggo.)
When I upload the nzb file to the nzbget server the downloading doesnot start and the uploaded nzb file disappears someone pls hlep

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]