Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
tired of having to tinker with my media player
02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
tired of having to tinker with my media player
Is there such a piece of hardware that has the full file compatibility of the Sigma, with a GUI that is not slow and awkward, that doesn't require you to "flash YAMJ and a skin" to be usable, and that will do all the things I have come to expect from consumer grade hardware....such as update it's own firmware, and manage my media library on my NAS/Network, without being told what the heck to do every time I turn around?

Where is this mythical creature?

Because I am just about done with all these media players...WDTV, Popbox 3D, yes I have tried YAMJ with skins......it's a major PITA to have to manage all that, so not interested anymore in buying a piece of hardware that is supposed to work out of the box and having to maintain it more than a woman or a car just to play friggin' movies. I seriously spend more time updating and managing this piece than I do anything else I own, period, hands down. That's wrong guys.

I had a XBMC install on a desktop with a HDMI cable ran to the HDTV before and it worked rather well especially with the Android XBMC Remote app. Thing is we moved into an apartment, no room for any desktops so i sold it, no budget to build a SFF pc to go on the Home Theater shelf, which is why I bought the NAS and the Popbox 3D.....

Is there an affordable piece of hardware, that will run XBMC, that is small, sleek, hopefully black, and that doesn't have file compatibility limitations? Oh, and I want to turn it on and it work, no more having to update and rebuild a database every time I add a movie.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2012, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 07:57 AM by Dave_D.)
RE: tired of having to tinker with my media player
The product you want is available.

Google "Kaleidoscope Bluray Disk Vault"

Affordable is of course a subjective thing.

A200 connected to 32" Samsung UA32C5000
C200 connected to Denon 1610 AVR and 42" LG 42LH50YR
Encore ENHGS-500 5 port Gigabit switch.
02-21-2012, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 08:02 AM by neyenlives.)
(02-21-2012 07:52 AM)Dave_D Wrote:  The product you want is available.

"http://kaleidescape.com/" ??

um, yeah......we are talking $200 tops affordable because I figure I can build a tiny VESA mountable client that will run XBMC for about that much. While it will take some setup to begin with, the nice thing about XBMC on a PC type setup, is it will play anything and will work every single time, and we can use our Android handsets as wifi remotes. (The PCH Android app never worked, tried it)
[+] 1 user says Thank You to neyenlives for this post
02-21-2012, 08:30 AM
$200 budget...

Update me if you find one.

I'm sorry for not being sympathetic but there will no cheap straightforward solution except for the kaleidoscope.

You stick discs in... it copies it to the drive and plays it. For bluray it needs the disc inside the jukebox for BD-Live but for CDs/DVDs it's a 1 step solution.

Everything else out there still requires users to physically rip discs using PCs so whatever you say, it will never be a mass consumer product designed for the masses.

A200 connected to 32" Samsung UA32C5000
C200 connected to Denon 1610 AVR and 42" LG 42LH50YR
Encore ENHGS-500 5 port Gigabit switch.
02-21-2012, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 09:04 AM by Atinkler.)
(02-21-2012 07:48 AM)neyenlives Wrote:  Is there such a piece of hardware that has the full file compatibility of the Sigma, with a GUI that is not slow and awkward, that doesn't require you to "flash YAMJ and a skin" to be usable, and that will do all the things I have come to expect from consumer grade hardware....such as update it's own firmware, and manage my media library on my NAS/Network, without being told what the heck to do every time I turn around?

Where is this mythical creature?

Because I am just about done with all these media players...WDTV, Popbox 3D, yes I have tried YAMJ with skins......it's a major PITA to have to manage all that, so not interested anymore in buying a piece of hardware that is supposed to work out of the box and having to maintain it more than a woman or a car just to play friggin' movies. I seriously spend more time updating and managing this piece than I do anything else I own, period, hands down. That's wrong guys.

I had a XBMC install on a desktop with a HDMI cable ran to the HDTV before and it worked rather well especially with the Android XBMC Remote app. Thing is we moved into an apartment, no room for any desktops so i sold it, no budget to build a SFF pc to go on the Home Theater shelf, which is why I bought the NAS and the Popbox 3D.....

Is there an affordable piece of hardware, that will run XBMC, that is small, sleek, hopefully black, and that doesn't have file compatibility limitations? Oh, and I want to turn it on and it work, no more having to update and rebuild a database every time I add a movie.

whenever I see a post like this I always have to ask... Have you liked beyond yamj to other jukeboxs? Oversight does everything automatically it has an outstanding scanner but doesn't look as pretty as some... But it is for my use anyway the best by far!
Unless thepopbox doesn't run it?
02-21-2012, 09:06 AM
It is a balancing act of trade-offs between Usability, Image and Audio quality, Eye candy and budget.... and for each user the importance given to each Item is different.

Therefor the product is a compromise....for most users Rolleyes

Live with it..Wink

And enjoy the fact that your not handling thousands of CD, DVD and BD disks

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
So you are not prepared to setup YAMJ and a skin that you like, get it configured and run it once in a while when you add new content, but you are prepared to build a PC from scratch, install XBMC, download drivers, work through compatibility issues with the hardware, etc., etc.

You might want to take a look at the raspberry-pi when it comes out

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-21-2012, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 01:29 PM by chris57.)
I'm perfectly happy with the A300 series browsing speed and ther appearence of its inbuilt jukebox NMJ.

I added Weed Wars (TV Series), Mission Impossible (MKV), and various episodes to some existing TV series on my NAS, to my NMJ Jukebox last night. Simply pressing NMJ Manager and then the Blue button updated in 2 mins with posters, fanart, and info.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM
The AppleTV2 can run XBMC if you jailbreak it, and it costs about $99.
It has a limit in that it can't output more than 720p video. (It will play 1080p material, but the output will still be 720p.)
I'm also not sure how it handles the new HD sound formats.
It's worth a look, but keep your PCH in case XBMC doesn't impress.
02-22-2012, 02:13 AM

Kaleidescape doesn't actually do a whole lot that the NMT family doesn't, but it packages it and delivers it fantastically well.

I really wish Syabas would seriously look at the feature set of Kaleidescape and implement it because then, aside from the comparatively trivial ripping process, it would be an awesome, whole home, family-friendly product. And you wouldn't have to have a BluRay changer to allay the studios' fears so it would actually have one up on Kaleidescape.

All of this stuff can be done on the hardware they've got if they put some decent thought into it, and a bit more attention to detail than they've shown to date.

But I'm going to hold off on that feature request until they've stabilised the 300 series fully and updated the 200!

Thoughts on Syabas support? Share them here
02-22-2012, 02:18 AM
(02-22-2012 02:13 AM)plm Wrote:  

Kaleidescape doesn't actually do a whole lot that the NMT family doesn't, but it packages it and delivers it fantastically well.

I really wish Syabas would seriously look at the feature set of Kaleidescape and implement it because then, aside from the comparatively trivial ripping process, it would be an awesome, whole home, family-friendly product. And you wouldn't have to have a BluRay changer to allay the studios' fears so it would actually have one up on Kaleidescape.

All of this stuff can be done on the hardware they've got if they put some decent thought into it, and a bit more attention to detail than they've shown to date.

But I'm going to hold off on that feature request until they've stabilised the 300 series fully and updated the 200!

Kaleidescape just lost there 4+ year battle on the ripping system in court so doubt anyone will be adapting it anytime soon. But with big money comes more people to work on a product. If i paid $2000+ on a system i would expect Kaleidescape type functions. You still get what you pay for pch will never have the resources to make a 250$ dollar product function like a 2000+
02-22-2012, 02:43 AM
I can probably guess that every single thing Kaleidescape does also has a patent they charge so much to license there can't be a competitor. And have no problem and the funds to chase everyone not following it down..

Well until they lost their copy protection fight and now they owe stupid money in infringements and now fighting to keep having a product to sell.
02-22-2012, 05:46 AM
(02-22-2012 02:18 AM)halfelite Wrote:  Kaleidescape just lost there 4+ year battle on the ripping system in court so doubt anyone will be adapting it anytime soon. But with big money comes more people to work on a product. If i paid $2000+ on a system i would expect Kaleidescape type functions. You still get what you pay for pch will never have the resources to make a 250$ dollar product function like a 2000+

I actually meant if Syabas left aside the ripping process because it's a) trivial although b) legally problematic, it still wouldn't be difficult to add the kind of Kaleidescape functionality that makes their system so great to use in a connected home.

It needs better IP control which isn't difficult because half of it is there already; they just need to add some discrete functions to at least guarantee getting it into and out of standby (I appreciate that full power on/off requires hardware so this isn't practical) and also some event triggers so you know when a movie starts, is paused, ends, etc. Then it becomes childs play to integrate it into your home theatre control and lighting automation. A documented command-line interface isn't difficult to achieve.

Bookmarks could pretty easily be stored on a network share optionally rather than locally. That means you could stop a movie in one room and continue it in another. God knows how many times I've wanted to do this and have to remember the time I stopped on one player to pick up on the other, which then leaves a superfluous bookmark on the first player.

These are a couple of comparatively simple things that could allow for a more home-centric offering than the standalone handheld remote-controlled media player that they're pitching at the moment. And it wouldn't necessarily require a massive amount of work; just some thought into what the potential of the device could be and how best to realise that.

02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
The IP control is not a hardware, design or manufacturing issue it's been a knowledge issue at Syabas from day one.
Same goes for a lot of easy avoidable nuisances with Linux OS related issues like filehandling, peripheral devices ect..

"I works.... sort of"........... is a QC standard that will not give the brand a long life in the market.
My big question is will they revive and rejuvenate the company or are we on the down curve of it's lifecycle...

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem53 for this post
02-22-2012, 09:46 AM
(02-22-2012 08:42 AM)Willem53 Wrote:  "I works.... sort of"........... is a QC standard that will not give the brand a long life in the market.

That's exactly where I am. Quality doesn't have to be costly, it is a mindset that should be instilled into the engineering team from top to bottom.

They'll end up with better quality products faster and cheaper, with reduced testing costs. Although in Syabas' case I'm not sure they could reduce their testing costs, but that's the theory. Wink

Motorola didn't come up with Six Sigma for nothing.

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is the A400 the most powerful media player atm? Stanfoo 1 840 12-03-2013 04:21 AM
Last Post: Willem53
  Spdif out quality from Popcorn media players giuseppe 2 1,049 10-22-2013 06:35 PM
Last Post: giuseppe
  PCH in comparison to a Bluray player DeanoCeltic 9 2,048 08-27-2013 10:08 PM
Last Post: Sledgehamma
  Remote/Program on iPhone/iPad to control Popcorn Hour and browse media greenxeyezz 5 2,942 08-17-2013 08:41 AM
Last Post: turas
  Popcorn (A400) vs PS3 Media Server alexbarreras 7 4,111 05-16-2013 03:39 PM
Last Post: figment222
  Enhancing my Media Experience Further JoeFig44 5 1,002 03-15-2013 03:07 PM
Last Post: JoeFig44
  Media Jukeboxes - Which is best? SwelterTheChef 7 3,173 06-03-2012 05:46 PM
Last Post: tbsat
  Windows Media Center to XBMC to...C-300? cjtodd23 7 2,883 05-24-2012 09:39 PM
Last Post: accident
  Help with buying new player for 3d crash515 4 1,851 04-08-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: crash515
  Tired from media center on PC / Move to NMT yeti 7 3,360 02-21-2012 08:29 AM