Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Files do not copy to internal HD (info=0kb) from 5th Gen iPod
08-07-2008, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2009 06:57 AM by mjmacky.)
Files do not copy to internal HD (info=0kb) from 5th Gen iPod
I have been in every copy-related thread and have not seen a post with a similar problem that I am having. Before I describe my problem, here is how I setup my system.

I have a brand new A-100 unit. I installed a hard disk (3.5" PATA Seagate Barracuda). I upgraded to the newest firmware, and formatted the HD to Ext2 and installed the newest version of NMT Apps. All of that went through with no difficulties. My hard disk shows up with 3 folder (images, music, videos).

Now, I plugged in my 30GB iPod (which I use mostly as a storage device) and was able to play all of my .avi and .mkv videos without problems. However, the file copy method "appears" to work when I try to copy them to my internal disk. I tick the file I want to copy from the USB device with the Angle button, I browse to the video folder on my hard disk, I hit the Time Seek button and the NMT appears to copy it, as a new file pops up in the hard disk folder. When I hit the info button, it says it is 0 B of data. Huh? Then I try to play the file and receive a "Could Not Play" message, expected. It creates the filename, just doesn't copy any data. I also tried this with a small text file and received the same type of result.

What is going on here? Am I supposed to be running some special app in the background to transfer from USB to Internal HD? Could this problem be related to the fact I'm using an iPod as my USB device? That doesn't make sense to me, because if I can watch the video, then I definitely have read access to the iPod. Also, my iPod is using a FAT32 file system, which is a readable file system for the PCH according to the information I've read. I've been troubleshooting this for 12 hours, including reformat, upgrading firmware again, etc. Please help with some advice.

Popcorn Hour C-200 wired into Linksys WRT610N with 50 ft CAT-6 and displayed 720p 60 Hz via HDMI onto a 42" HP LCD. Anime series watcher, YAMJ user, PlayOn user, MSP user. Externally managed torrents, running FTP and Samba server.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM
RE: Files do not copy to internal HD (info=0kb)
Have you tried to softreboot the PCH after the

filecopy is done ? It might help.
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2008 05:43 AM by mjmacky.)
(08-07-2008 10:17 AM)oddball Wrote:  Have you tried to softreboot the PCH after the

filecopy is done ? It might help.

Yes I have tried that, no success. I should describe this detail. If I copy a folder from the hard disk to another part of the hard disk, the progress will show 100% and then finish. If I copy something from the USB to to the hard disk, it will show 0% and then "finish" and the file or folder appears to have copied? Like I said, I have even tried it with a small text file to affirm that large file size transfer wasn't the problem, and it wasn't because I get the same result of 0 B file size, no data, just the filename created.

Popcorn Hour C-200 wired into Linksys WRT610N with 50 ft CAT-6 and displayed 720p 60 Hz via HDMI onto a 42" HP LCD. Anime series watcher, YAMJ user, PlayOn user, MSP user. Externally managed torrents, running FTP and Samba server.
08-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Umm I've gotten file transfer to work when copying from an SMB media share from one of my computers now that I have a 50ft ethernet cable. Since now I know my PCH can ACTUALLY perform a transfer to the internal HD, I assume this problem is isolated to USB transfers, now I should test this with a thumb drive to see if it's iPod related only. I'll update my findings when I do that.

I need some resolution to this, because USB transfer from the iPod is going to be the easiest method for me. My cats keep destroying the small pile of loops created by the ethernet cable so I can't really leave it out transferring when I go sleep. I've never had problems with the iPod and transferring files before, so why with this device?

08-08-2008, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2008 11:18 AM by cheaper_popcorn.)
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Not that it helps you per se, but just to add my two cents, I can copy fine from my USB connected 2.5" NTFS formatted 250GB hard disks in external enclosures to the internal hard disk of the PCH A-100, as well as from my 512MB FAT32 USB stick.

As far as I can tell there are two possibilities in your case, one is that the PCH is not compatible with copying from the iPod for some (to me) unknown reason, or that there is something not quite right with the USB ports or circuitry on your PCH unit. Just as you said above, testing with other USB devices should be able to confirm which of the two it is.

Given the length of time you have spent troubleshooting, I assume you have tried connecting to both USB ports already?

Media tank:A-100 & C-200
TV:Panasonic TH-50PY800MT (HDMI)
Audio:Logitech Z-5500 (Coaxial)
08-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I found someone with a similar problem, but no details, no updated replies. I found it while browsing because it didn't originally come up with any variation of my searches.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=4970

08-09-2008, 03:11 PM
(08-08-2008 11:17 AM)cheaper_popcorn Wrote:  Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Not that it helps you per se, but just to add my two cents, I can copy fine from my USB connected 2.5" NTFS formatted 250GB hard disks in external enclosures to the internal hard disk of the PCH A-100, as well as from my 512MB FAT32 USB stick.

As far as I can tell there are two possibilities in your case, one is that the PCH is not compatible with copying from the iPod for some (to me) unknown reason, or that there is something not quite right with the USB ports or circuitry on your PCH unit. Just as you said above, testing with other USB devices should be able to confirm which of the two it is.

Given the length of time you have spent troubleshooting, I assume you have tried connecting to both USB ports already?

Yeah you guessed it, what haven't I tried that was already possible. OK, I tested out the USB thumb drive. I can transfer using the 512MB USB stick. I still can't transfer using the 30 GB iPod. I can play files off of it, just not able to transfer them. This is kind of bizarre.

I was, however, able to appease my frustration by resorting to FTP transfer. It's relatively quick, and I can actually organize everything on the internal HD, which is a super bonus for me. Do any other people us the video ipods as portable storage?

08-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I know that when I had a Phillips 5960 DVD player with a USB slot that only ipods up to 3rd generation would play. Anything thereafter would not connect to the player. Probably protection related is my guess.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
08-10-2008, 11:23 PM
(08-10-2008 03:56 PM)chris57 Wrote:  I know that when I had a Phillips 5960 DVD player with a USB slot that only ipods up to 3rd generation would play. Anything thereafter would not connect to the player. Probably protection related is my guess.

Well my iPod IS post 3rd gen. It DOES connect though, I can browse and play my files just fine. It's just when it comes to transferring the files, it always fails, but doesn't give me any kind of error. It MIGHT be some related protection system, but I don't get how that would work. I mean, I can transfer files between the iPod and my PCs. It has a FAT32 format system. I don't see what the problem could be. Everything ELSE has been successful over USB after testing it out.

08-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Your PC has DRM whereas the PCH doesnt, apple are very keen on protecting media.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
08-12-2008, 06:12 AM
(08-11-2008 06:43 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Your PC has DRM whereas the PCH doesnt, apple are very keen on protecting media.

So you're saying this could be a DRM issue? That is an interesting point, but only because I don't know enough about how it functions. I had believed DRM only pertained to PLAYING media files and were associated with particular video and music format, not file system transfers...

Could you elaborate on this comment?

As far as I can logically deduce, DRM wouldn't prevent me from transferring something like a text file between the iPod and PCH, wouldn't you agree? I know there exists protected formats that do not allow you to play protected files designed for playback on the iPod or iTunes, but I'm not using my iPod in that manner. I'm using as a file storage device (whenever it isn't an mp3/video player).

08-12-2008, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2008 09:48 AM by oddball.)
The first time you inserted the Ipod to the computer, did

you install some Apple/Ipod program at the same time (on the Pc) ??

If yes, the try to take the Ipod to a computer that

NEVER has had a Ipod connected and try to copy the files to

that Pc, and do NOT install any Apple/ipod prgrams. If that don't

work, well there is your answer.
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
i always thought the ipod is a bit more than just a usb thumb drive...although i do use mine for storage in some cases, i wouldnt expect all non pc devices to play nicely with it as it always seems to take forever to show up as a drive in windows and im sure it does a bunch of other checks first, as its looking to sync with the pc before becoming a usable drive.

why dont you just hook your ipod up to your pc and transfer them over via SMB? that or throw them in a usb stick. i know u are probably just looking fo the speed that the usb transfer gives...but u only need to do it once Smile if i remember when i get home today ill try and do the same with my ipod and post my results.
08-13-2008, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2008 02:38 AM by mjmacky.)
(08-12-2008 09:47 AM)oddball Wrote:  The first time you inserted the Ipod to the computer, did

you install some Apple/Ipod program at the same time (on the Pc) ??

If yes, the try to take the Ipod to a computer that

NEVER has had a Ipod connected and try to copy the files to

that Pc, and do NOT install any Apple/ipod prgrams. If that don't

work, well there is your answer.

No I didn't install anything when I first got the iPod. I eventually did install iTunes, it is the program I prefer for transferring it to the iPod for playback (I hate Jukebox). Mine works with ANY PC... transferring to and from. I have been using it this way for awhile. Most notably I have even used it to back up a friend's laptop (photos, music, etc.) while they sent it in for warranty repair, and of course HP formatted the hard drive (or maybe installed a new one) and put all of the original crap back on there. I loaded everything back onto it from the iPod just fine.

I'm hoping someone else is able to confirm this if they also are using a video iPod.
(08-12-2008 03:37 PM)luke3001 Wrote:  i always thought the ipod is a bit more than just a usb thumb drive...although i do use mine for storage in some cases, i wouldnt expect all non pc devices to play nicely with it as it always seems to take forever to show up as a drive in windows and im sure it does a bunch of other checks first, as its looking to sync with the pc before becoming a usable drive.

why dont you just hook your ipod up to your pc and transfer them over via SMB? that or throw them in a usb stick. i know u are probably just looking fo the speed that the usb transfer gives...but u only need to do it once Smile if i remember when i get home today ill try and do the same with my ipod and post my results.

Of course it is more, it plays video and can even feed out video/sound over analog cables = )

Yes I am looking for speed, I actually don't prefer the SMB share, I'm quite fond of FTP if I'm doing it over the network (doesn't lock up the device). What I did instead was snatch the hard drive from my parents-in-law's broken laptop, slapped a USB enclosure over it, and now it's my new external drive. I formatted it to NTFS, and that's what I've been using to transfer files so I don't have to run the ethernet cable over and over again.

I'd be real interested to discover the results of your test. Could you also let me know which type of iPod you are using?

08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
sorry i totally forgot about this thread... Smile

i have a 60gb ipod video, i believe its 5th generation. ill email myself a reminder to try it out at home today.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WD red drives info needed pace508 4 1,141 04-30-2013 01:39 AM
Last Post: chris57
  NMT File info/scrapes . . AND ISO file questions styopa 1 958 03-17-2013 08:51 PM
  can't use while copying files? AtariBaby 2 761 02-20-2013 11:45 AM
  How to copy Sata to Sata? Kasimodo 0 683 10-11-2012 05:07 PM
Last Post: Kasimodo
  pdf files? mikk 1 921 03-04-2012 02:02 PM
Last Post: Pernod
  Embedded metadata for Video files speedownsie 2 1,593 11-04-2011 12:05 PM
Last Post: speedownsie
  Quick way ot rename files? rossandmarita 3 2,149 09-12-2011 09:12 AM
Last Post: markzdemetrez
  Wav files rlum 5 1,906 06-12-2011 06:31 PM
  Info on PCH-C200 mv2002uk 2 1,596 05-04-2011 03:26 AM
Last Post: popcornhoursales
  Plugging an Iphone/Ipod/Touch into the PCH mmccking 2 1,736 01-31-2011 03:15 AM
Last Post: mmccking