Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
hdd install
09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
hdd install
hi, first sorry about my english, its not my native idiom.

i'm noob in linux and i'm trying to use a hdd to watch movies, but i dont know what to do!

i've read the quick start guide, i understood i have to format and install the apps, but where are they? i dont have internet connection near the tv so a i have to use USB to install, but where can i find the files to install?

and... what do i have to install to just transfer files pc to hdd with network cable?

thanks a lot
Find all posts by this user
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
RE: hdd install
hi... i'm a noob too, but perhaps i can help a bit...

you say you don't have an internet connection near the TV... so this means you want to be able to play movies that are stored on the internal HDD, yes?

how do you plan to get the movies onto the HDD?

if you use an -external- hdd and connect it through USB, then the USB drive will show up as a source and you'll be able to find your files and play them.

if you want to use an -internal- drive, then you first need to power off the unit and plug in the drive (and drive power)

you'll also need to download the firmware from the popcorn site and put it on a USB stick (follow the instructions but make sure the unzipped files are at the root level of the usb stick)

then restart the unit and go into setup... you should see a maintenance choice (i think... i'm not near my NMT and don't have the screens memorized yet) but its the screen where you normally for updated firmware... on that screen there'll be a NEW choice (after your internal HDD is installed) that will give you the steps necessary to format the HDD and install the apps... when it asks if you want to install the apps from the network or USB, you select USB and follow the instructions...

this should get you going... more questions just ask.

cheers!
r
09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
thanks robingo88.

now it works! hehe

i'm using an internal hdd, now, another question!

how will i transfer the files to hdd? i have an usb stick, but it haves only 8 gb, so for bigger files i cant use it.

i have to start ftp or any other app to transfer the files with ethernet cable on ph without video source, because i cant see the screens of ph on my bedroom, theres no tv there, there are any way to start the apps on remote control shortcut?

thanks again
09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
(09-16-2008 02:46 PM)girotti Wrote:  thanks robingo88.

now it works! hehe

how will i transfer the files to hdd? i have an usb stick, but it haves only 8 gb, so for bigger files i cant use it.

i have to start ftp or any other app to transfer the files with ethernet cable on ph without video source, because i cant see the screens of ph on my bedroom, theres no tv there, there are any way to start the apps on remote control shortcut?

thanks again

you hook your Popcorn Hour to a computer network through the ethernet port. then you can ftp into the popcorn hour box or connect as through the box were an external computer.

option a - ftp
you should probably set up a manual IP address for your PH... then ftp to that address using an FTP client...

the user name is: ftpuser
and the password is: 1234

you should then see a bunch of folders and you can put your videos into the video folder... when you go back to your PH and tv you'll see the files.

option b - mount as an external volume

you need to connect to the PH over your network... depending on your computer (mac or windows) the steps will be different but when you get to the login screen for the PH you will enter

user: nmt
password: 1234

then the internal drive you installed should mount as an external volume and you can simply drag files to the Video or Audio or Photo folder.

hope this helps... glad you're making progress!

btw, if you have an A-110, i -think- you can just take your unit and connect it through a USB cable to your computer and drag files that way, but i don't have a A-110, so i can't be sure.

cheers!
r
09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
(09-16-2008 07:14 PM)robingo88 Wrote:  
(09-16-2008 02:46 PM)girotti Wrote:  thanks robingo88.

now it works! hehe

thanks again

you hook your Popcorn Hour to a computer network through the ethernet port. then you can ftp into the popcorn hour box or connect as through the box were an external computer.

option a - ftp
you should probably set up a manual IP address for your PH... then ftp to that address using an FTP client...

the user name is: ftpuser
and the password is: 1234

you should then see a bunch of folders and you can put your videos into the video folder... when you go back to your PH and tv you'll see the files.

option b - mount as an external volume

you need to connect to the PH over your network... depending on your computer (mac or windows) the steps will be different but when you get to the login screen for the PH you will enter

user: nmt
password: 1234

then the internal drive you installed should mount as an external volume and you can simply drag files to the Video or Audio or Photo folder.

hope this helps... glad you're making progress!

btw, if you have an A-110, i -think- you can just take your unit and connect it through a USB cable to your computer and drag files that way, but i don't have a A-110, so i can't be sure.

cheers!
r
i have the A-100.
the way to connect over ftp i was looking in the forum and support and a think i will can do it.
the question is, i will only test on the afternoon, just asking now to have the answer hehe, if i start ftp on ph and take it off from a/c and turn on again, near the pc (no video for ph) will it keep ftp on?

thaks for helping
09-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Quote:i have the A-100.
the way to connect over ftp i was looking in the forum and support and a think i will can do it.
the question is, i will only test on the afternoon, just asking now to have the answer hehe, if i start ftp on ph and take it off from a/c and turn on again, near the pc (no video for ph) will it keep ftp on?

thaks for helping

no, i don't think so... when you pull the power the A-100 will restart.

you don't need to see the video to do an FTP transfer...

move the A-100 next to your computer and connect using ethernet. power up the A-100 (give it a few minutes or time it on your tv and see how long it takes before you get to the normal blue menu screen and then wait that amount of time in your office)

then look for the A-100 on your network or try to ftp... as long as the A-100 is powered you should be able to ftp into it.

you will need to set up an IP address -before- you move it (while its still connected to your tv) so figure out a good IP address on your network that's unused and program that in first. then when you ftp into the box it'll show up.

good luck again!
cheers
robin[/quote]
09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Have it aquire you an address through DHCP first, then change it to static. This is the method that I had to use to setup the networking on my PCH. The static method would not work until it aquired an address from DHCP first, and then when I switched it to static all was ok. I have read on here that others had to follow this same method. It was driving me nuts for about 15 minutes until I figured this out. You can also transfer the files through SAMBA by just sharing folders at your Windows box. If you choose the SAMBA method use the file mode key.
09-17-2008, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2008 04:17 AM by girotti.)
(09-16-2008 08:04 PM)robingo88 Wrote:  
Quote:i have the A-100.

thaks for helping

no, i don't think so... when you pull the power the A-100 will restart.

you don't need to see the video to do an FTP transfer...

move the A-100 next to your computer and connect using ethernet. power up the A-100 (give it a few minutes or time it on your tv and see how long it takes before you get to the normal blue menu screen and then wait that amount of time in your office)

then look for the A-100 on your network or try to ftp... as long as the A-100 is powered you should be able to ftp into it.

you will need to set up an IP address -before- you move it (while its still connected to your tv) so figure out a good IP address on your network that's unused and program that in first. then when you ftp into the box it'll show up.

good luck again!
cheers
robin
[/quote]
ok, i'll try it as soon as i have some free time.
very thanks!
(09-16-2008 09:17 PM)mem_reddog Wrote:  Have it aquire you an address through DHCP first, then change it to static. This is the method that I had to use to setup the networking on my PCH. The static method would not work until it aquired an address from DHCP first, and then when I switched it to static all was ok. I have read on here that others had to follow this same method. It was driving me nuts for about 15 minutes until I figured this out. You can also transfer the files through SAMBA by just sharing folders at your Windows box. If you choose the SAMBA method use the file mode key.
my network is static ip, i have to do this process anyway?
09-17-2008, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2008 05:00 AM by cheaper_popcorn.)
No, I don't think you need to. I also have my home network setup with static IPs and no DHCP server, since a long time, and I did not need to mess with DHCP at all when I set up my PCH A-100.

Media tank:A-100 & C-200
TV:Panasonic TH-50PY800MT (HDMI)
Audio:Logitech Z-5500 (Coaxial)
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why should I install a local HDD? mr-b 11 2,964 01-11-2010 05:22 AM
Last Post: espresso
  can't install the apps... b.. 0 972 01-22-2009 09:44 AM
Last Post: b..
  A110 will not boot after internal HD install, or NFS start voigtkampff 0 1,193 11-29-2008 12:42 AM
Last Post: voigtkampff
  Remote problems after HD / NMT apps install. JMDickson 1 1,246 11-26-2008 11:04 PM
Last Post: Pucco
  how to access HDD install inside PCH ? vora2008 3 2,851 05-03-2008 02:50 PM
Last Post: vora2008
  New Install masterofnone 2 1,294 04-01-2008 01:15 PM
Last Post: masterofnone
  Install an Internal HDD TommyTank200 1 1,624 03-15-2008 03:32 AM
Last Post: Eric
  Install Internal hard drive with Media on it. 0 822 Today 10:13 AM
Last Post: